From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:55:11 EDT
Hi,
Are there any FMLer's in Las Vegas, Nevada?  I was there a while ago to
check out their ferrets.  I ended up purchasing two just because I couldn't
stand for them to be there.  I know, that is not the way to condemn an
industry you do not support.

Anyway,  here's what happened:

There were probably 12-15 extremely young kits in a plexiglass "cage" .
I'm sure you've seen these at Petco.  They're in the middle of the isles
showcasing animals.  Anyway, the top was not open.  The top was covered
with plexiglass also, but had little holes in it.  After I got someone to
come over and unlock the top, I noticed the inside of the cage was warmer
than the outside.  It wasn't hot but I was left to wonder what if.

The whole entire bottom of the cage was covered in tiny pieces of shredded
paper.  They sell this stuff as an alternative to wood shavings for other
small animals.  This stuff generated a lot of dust, not good for the kits
lungs.  The food bowl was filled with DRY food, what kind I don't know.  To
top it all off, the litter pan was full of clumping cat litter!

I asked to speak to the person in charge of the ferrets and was told she
was not in that day.  Ooooh, I was mad.

I still purchased two.  I was given one envelope with photocopies of 6
different health certificates from two different shipments!  That's it!
Nothing else!  Nothing from Marshall Farms, no pamphlet, nothing...just
copies of health certificates.

There are two Petco's on Las Vegas.  I've been to both and was unhappy with
both.  I strongly urge anyone in that area to visit these Petco's to check
on the ferrets there and give them a peice of your mind if you find things
wrong.  Can you imagine how the other animals might be treated there?

I know that we as ferret owners cannot patrol the whole ferret industry.
However, we sure can make ourselves known.

[IA]