From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:36:09 -0400
>From:    aylasaur <[log in to unmask]>
>Is there a manufacturer out there who makes collapsible cages for ferrets?

If you're poor, handy with tools, or both, you can make one yourself
without -too- much trouble.  I've made two, one small and one large.
Pictures and instructions are on the Ferret Equipment How-To Page at
http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/gallery/gallery-howto.html

>From:    Susan Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
>I've got a question about bitter apple. [...]  So it must be
>non-toxic, yes?  But the primary ingredient is Isopropyl alcohol.

That's just the solvent.  It'll evaporate in a second or two, leaving the
rest of the ingredients behind.  Try putting a little isopropyl (rubbing)
alcohol on your hand and watch how quickly it disappears -- no chance it'll
be swallowed unless your ferrets get hold of the bottle.

>From:    Ren <[log in to unmask]>
>Are ear mites common in little ones?

Yes, especially in new arrivals, but they're easily treated.  See the
FAQ.  (Instructions for getting a copy are at the top of this issue.)

>From:    Tim Staggs <[log in to unmask]>
>He knows that SD is the best cat food for cats, but what about ferrets?

IMO, Science Diet kitten (to age 3) and cat food are just fine for ferrets.
So are Iams, ProPlan, a number of other feline foods, and nearly all the
ferret foods.  I don't know about Nutro-Max in particular, but if the
ingredients look good (about 33% protein, 20% fat, mainly animal protein),
it should be okay.  The recent fascination with Iams around here is just
coincidence; a few months ago it was ProPlan, before that SD...

>From:    Jessica Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
>She was 6 weeks when I got her-approx 10 weeks now.  Would she have only
>gotten the first of the distemper shots?

Right, you'll need to get her the rest of them.  See the FAQ for the full
vaccination schedule.  She only needs canine distemper and rabies, not
feline distemper or anything else.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>