From:
Ann Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1993 20:46:05 -0500
Christmas eve update:
At this point they could probably use moral support more than anything
else, and they have really been buoyed up by hearing from other ferret
people.  They have started to get some media attention, too. The story has
been picked up by AP, and appeared in the Kansas City Star, and the Topeka
Daily Capital.  Several lawyers who have not been able to take the case
because of time and/or distance nevertheless called them to offer help and
consultation and informed them that their civil liberties had been violated
massively under Kansas law and that they have an open and shut case against
all the other parties.  They called the ACLU in Kansas City and couldn't
get past a grumpy secretary who told them to go away.  Way to go, ACLU!!!
I'm going to try their national office here in Washington on Monday, and
also try to find out if PETA has a local office in Kansas. One of the
papers called the court where they said they would wait until after
Christmas to issue the warrant for their arrest.
Mike and Rita McDowell's number is 913-889-7180.  Their address is 109 West
4th St., Onaga KS 66521.
If you can't call, please drop them a line and let them know we're all
thinking about them.
This will set a precedent in Kansas, because never in the history of the
state has the Health Department ordered an animal to be turned over, and
the people have said No.
They're out there making history, folks, and they're doing it for ferrets.
Thanks to everyone who sent me e-mail and all the good suggestions and
support.
--Ann Davis, League of Independent Ferret Enthusiasts.