From:
Shelly Nice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 1994 09:41:58 -0400
Very amusing, the stories about escaping.  However, I think Vanilla can
top it...

Several years ago, we had just moved into a townhouse.  I had just
started a new job and was leaving early to go to NYC for a trade show.
Vanilla, of course, got free run of the house.

Well, when my then roommate left for work, Vanilla crept up behind her
and darted out the door and hid in a bush.  After the roommate was gone,
she completed her escape.  She roamed the new neighborhood for a while
(and picked up a couple fleas).  Then, AH HA, she spies an open sliding
glass door (which belonged to someone in the next building!).  She goes
in (uninvited, of course).  Well, the tenant was a German man who had
never seen a furry (especially an albino one) and thought it was a rat.

In the meantime, Vana terrorizes the man and his cat with her Indian war
dance and eats all of the cat's food.  The man grabs a broom and swats
her out of the house.  Vana dances down his porch, flies down the walk,
and does a bungee jump off the sidewalk and spread-eagles into a sewer!

The man, amazed, walks down there and stares at her through the grate.
My neighbor walks by and asks what he's looking at.  "I dunno but it just
ate all my cat's food," he replies.

The neighbor looks down and sees Vana.  "I think that's my next-door
neighbor's pet," she says.

Well, they had to call the maintenance guy who had to get a crane to lift
open the sewer grate to rescue Vana.  They put her in a Have-a-Heart cage
and left her in  my kitchen.

I almost died when I found out the whole story!  I almost lost her if it
hadn't been for my neighbor walking by and my maint guy being so cool.

The only other time she tried to sneak out, she got caught inbetween the
door and the screen and was stuck there all night.  She never tried that
again, thank the Big Guy (or Gal).