From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:27:42 -0700
FOR FERRETS THAT HAVE NOT HAD REACTIONS BEFORE:

We now give 0.5cc (weight under 2 pounds) to 1.0cc (weight over 2 pounds)
children's Benedryl (oral) daily for 3 days before the vaccination and
1.0cc 30 minutes before the shot, and .05cc to 1.0cc the following day.
Of course, the dose given 30 minutes before the shot can be substituted
with an injection of injectable benedryl at the clinic.

FOR FERRETS THAT HAVE PREVIOUSLY HAD REACTIONS:

We give the same dosage of Benedryl for FIVE days prior to the vaccination.
The ferret is taken to the vet's office for vaccination.  An injection of
Azium is given prior to the vaccination.  Oxygen & IV is set up so that
it's ready if needed.  The slightest symptom of reaction is treated with a
second injection of Azium.

We've had near fatal reactions giving only 1.0cc 30 minutes before the shot
and one of those was a young ferret getting only her 2nd of the initial 3
shots.  We've had no severe reactions since starting this new procedure.
One ferret that had a near fatal reaction the year before (and was treated
for 5 days previously this time), suffered one momentary episode of mild
nausea.

Before the new procedure our reaction rate was 20%... 5% of those being
near fatal.  Out of nearly 100 vaccinations per year, those numbers are
pretty scary.

PRE-TREAT... no matter what your vet says.

Debi Christy