From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:01:07 -0400
Hello Trish,
What a delightful update.  And I thought I was the only entree this week!  I
have scabbed over arches from my Angus an 7 month old who has no manners.
He is a sneak attacker, bite hard and run!  I will win out yet!!!

Well, A small breakin the usual routine... my Annie advanced lympho has gone
complete with entourage ( 2 other female and 1 male companion) to stay with
shelter director Pam.  Pam has just moved to a new (to her) home and has a
ferret room!  She took cage and the four to foster to give me a bit of a
break here.  She has her house set up so sveral groups can run at the same
time!  I was a bit skeptical about Annie, but she convinced me she can
administer the meds and keep in touch-- this may be well and good as I am
starting to get to overcome by these kids with cancer.  Living a state of
depression lately.  Prince is recovering from his surgery, stitches cam out
tonite.  He will go from living quarters to shelter quarters tomorrow...
another bout of depression on his part is expected, meanwhile I am
frantically looking for a foster family for him!!

We have a real certified mad biter scehduled in on Tues.  Lookig forward to
this challenge.  I'll take behavioral problems anyday over the adrenal,
lymphoma problems!  I am using licorice root for Prince andf Eassiac tea for
Annie, hoping they will help.

The one nice part of the temporary foster placement is tat the male out of
the group today will eventually stay with Pam and her husband.  The whole
group went over to make the change easier to him.  This group is the last of
the VT ferrets which I took in last Sept.  All were severely abused and
malnourished.  It is greatly surmosed that they are all inbred, and the male
has had some behavioral and learning problems.  It took 8 months to get him
NOT to draw blood, and he still reacts to men and the sounds of keys.  I
hope he can make the switch to Pam's home.  It would be his only chance of
living as a pet in a real home due to his unpredictable behavior.  I will
keep my fingers crossed.  I imagine in time the gals will make there way
back when things quiet down, but that is later.

Was stood up twice this week for adoption appts and I am getting very
irritated, just had to vent.  So far we are standing pretty firm with 22 in
the shelter, 12 hospice in the house and the family pets 9.  Oh yes, for
sanity's sake we just had our first litter-- real ferrets, no early alters.
There are nine kits just 7 days old.  Momma is 1 yr.  old and doing a great
job with them so far.  So keeping my fingers crossed that these will be
healthier than the many I have lost since last fall ( 9 ).

Well, because I am a gluttenb for punishment I have kissed the shelter kids
good night, but still have nite rounds to make upstairs, so I will close.
Trish thanks for that,,, what a delight.  You are doing some mighty fine
work there, I hope to stand up next to you some day!

Take care all,
Alicia, another shelter Mom