From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:41:00 EST
Mason, you may not know this, but the house that Slinky and Pogo stayed at
was where my ferrets caught ECE, maybe from ferrets that were just brought
up from MD.  There was a vaccination party there 6 months ago and those 2
kits attended.  My wife took 1 of ours there to get some stitches pulled by
the same vet.  All the ferrets played together for some time.  Two days
later we had a problem.  We had 5 of 7 ferrets with symptoms like Slinky's.
I'm _NOT_ saying that the sitters did anything wrong.  Back when we had the
disease, we knew that we had carriers, but I asked about the site where
things occurred.  No definitive answer.  We still have recurrent symptoms.
(Some ferrets that had ECE, according to my wife, also visited there a
couple months ago) This may or may not be your problem, but I notice that
you are mentioning ECE like symptoms but not considering ECE.  Here is a
reason you might want to.  It wouldn't change your treatment protocol
(except for not doing the surgery).

I have a motorcycle and have considered giving my kids a ride.  Strapping a
carrier to the seat would not be hard.  But, there is no good reason to.
The ferrets probably wouldn't enjoy it.  Motorcycles are roll turners that
lean to steer and have snappier acceleration than cars.  The ferrets would
be thrown around inside that carrier from starts, stops, and turns all the
time and I can't see them getting any pleasure from that.  Nor is the
suspension as soft as a car's.  Even a minor dump, which is always a
possibility, could have enough force to harm them.  I wear a helmet and
leathers even in the summer because you have to prepare for the fall
whenever you ride.  There is no protection for ferrets.  Would you drop a
ferret in a carrier from about 3 feet?  That's what a dump at a standstill
is.  Add motion and possible collision forces, the risk for harm is great.
If I thought they might enjoy the ride as I do, I might even take the
chance, but I just can't see how they would have any fun (unless I rode like
an old lady and had no fun myself).  Biker ferrets are good in concept but
not in execution.  Just because 2 things are fun doesn't mean they'll mix
well.

Lars, I have to admit that the idea of getting a ferret stuffed after it
died has crossed my mind.  There are some appealing aspects, but, like
biker ferrets, it got rejected.  Now if I could download the personality,
I'd do that.  If the idea is strange, your friend is not alone in thinking
about it.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \