Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:58:29 +1000
Sukie wrote:
>This is important, Shirley: the concept that carbohydrates in the diet
>are even *a* cause or *a contributing cause* for insulinoma has NOT
>been proven.

Duh, hence the word "probably" :)  Or "possibly".  Or "may".  No-one is
suggesting definites.

And forget insulinoma.  Preventing periodontal disease is reason enough
to feed natural, and not feed kibble.

If a ferret is fed kibble rather than a natural diet, they will most
likely develop mouth rot (periodontal disease).

If a ferret is fed a natural diet rather than kibble, their mouth will
be kept clean, and their kidneys won't be under constant strain from the
life-long infection.

And that's not hypothetical.

And just as with everything in life, yes there is risk.  But the chances
of pathogens, or injury from bones/choking are completely insignificant.
So insignificant that finding mentions of actual cases not just
scaremongering is very difficult.

Feeding a natural diet can be convenient, economical (depending on your
location & sources), doesn't have to include "cute" animals like mice,
and importantly, is also ENJOYABLE for the ferret.

http://www.shona.org/photogallery/pd.toy?pagenid=35025
http://www.shona.org/photogallery/pd.toy?pagenid=35049

My ferrets never got excited about dehydrated, grain-based pellets (aka
kibble).  They LOVE their real, fresh, whole food.

We all know fresh, whole foods are better for humans and animals than
processed foods.  And we know that prevention is better than treatment.

The only issues with a natural diet are logistics (supply, storage, and
other practicalities) but we have lots of solutions already, and can
continue to work together to give our ferrets the best, most appropriate
diet we can.

shona