Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 15:40:31 -0700
While I know that this is a sore subject, I want to address the topic
of how we can contribute to stopping Jenn Morrison and others like her.
This is long and will probably make some people angry.  But, let s try to
be productive and work toward long term goals.  (I m climbing up on my
soapbox now.) Many people we will never know worked, fought and died so
we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.  We may never see the results of
our efforts but one thing is sure   if we don t try we shall surely fail.
Alicia Drakiotes has shown us that it can be done.  Don t we owe it to
those who have suffered and died needlessly to try?

Recently I was in Salt Lake City, Utah.  While there I contacted the
following people, who have been contacted by members of the ferret
community, in connection with Jenn Morrison and the recent events
concerning Spirit:

Deanne Hess, Director, Davis County Animal Control
Joan ???, Davis County Prosecutor's Office
John Fox, Utah Humane Society
Rock Springs Humane Society
Jenn Morrison

After much thought, I have tried to compose a note about how we can help
get her convicted.  This will NOT contain anything but what I was told
(no *hearsay*) and MY opinions.  I will identify the two.

Opinion:
1. Right now the people involved hear a lot of emotion and little
support.  So far the impression seems to be that we want them to drop
everything else and handle this alone.

2. They also are limited by the constraints of the law.  We need to be
careful that we dont do anything that will ultimately result in JM
getting off on a technicality.

What I was told: After talking to everyone first hand, I have learned
that what's *out there* is not always completely accurate.

When I spoke with the Davis County prosecutor's office, I was told the
following:

1. Jenn was charged with a zoning violation, not having a business
license, a registration permit violation and a probation violation.
2. She will be served with papers at the address where she was last
known to be living.
3. If she does not show up for the court date (which has not yet been
selected) a warrant will be issued for her arrest.

When I talked with Jenn, I was told the following:
1. That she was no longer in Utah.
2. That the shelter was closed.
3. That she has 6 personal ferrets, one of which she has had for 9 years
and 5 she has had for 6 years.

Roles: The roles of those involved are defined by law.  We may not LIKE
what charges were brought, but that is all we can deal with.  If we need
to make changes in the law, we don't do it by pressing the D.A.'s office.
We do it by becoming involved on a grass roots level and getting the
voters involved.  Like it or not, the power IS in the hands of the
people.  (On the positive side  thats US, folks!)

Charges: The prosecutor's office is limited by the law in terms of
what charges can be brought against Jenn.  Joan told me that Jenn was
originally charged with a *Class B misdemeanor.* The maximum fine is
$1800 and 6 months in jail.  The prosecutor's office (Kris Neal) can NOT
change the punishment time.  Jenn was sentenced to this, with a fine of
$500 and probation.  If she violated her probation (which I was told she
has), she will have to serve out the sentence, if the judge chooses to
make her.

Procedure: The D.A.s office files the charges, but they are signed by
the judge and served by the Sheriffs office.  If JM is in Idaho, they
have to be forwarded to the county in which she resides so THAT Sheriffs
office can serve them.  IF they choose to pick up the party served, they
can.  However, Davis County, Utah can not go up there and do it NOR can
they force anyone in Idaho to do it.

How to help: I specifically asked, *What can we do to best help with this
case?* I was told: Write the judge a letter requesting the maximum
penalty allowable by law.  The case # is 0116-01-083.  I think it is
Davis County v. Jenn Morrison.  The judge in this case is: The Honorable
M. Allphin 425 N. Wasatch Layton, UT 84041

Hints for writing a letter: Mention the case number.  Be respectful.
Make the letter legible.  The letter should contain only what you KNOW,
should not be accusatory, condescending or threatening.  It should not
talk about how horrible the justice system is or how unfair the sentence
and should not be derogatory.

It should show the judge that we are concerned but that we understand the
constraints of the law and would like to help.  Do not sign the letters
*Anonymous.* Identify yourself.  Do not represent yourself as speaking
for anyone except yourself.  If you are speaking for a club, group, etc.
(and be sure you abide by that groups policy if you are) identify it.
Do NOT state things like *On behalf of the entire ferret community*
because you are NOT speaking for everyone.

What we need: Legal counsel.  Someone in every state in the union.  Every
state has its own laws and they may vary.  If we can work together to
make changes, it will help ALL our four-legged friends.  We need to work
with large groups  cat, dog, horse, etc.  lovers  because there is
strength in numbers.

Remember, just because we KNOW about what happened in Utah doesn't mean
that it is the ONLY place it can or is happening.  We have seen too many
of these situations all over the US.  Please, let's work together for the
ferrets.

LAGNIAPPE: You may also be interested to know that there is currently a
case of animal cruelty in the Salt Lake City courts that describes the
worst case they have ever seen.  It involves a cat that was tortured and
mutilated and has made the news several days now.  So, while it may seem
little at the moment, they are addressing cruelty issues out there.

My long talk with John Fox of the Utah Humane Society was enlightening.
I spent a while at the shelter and listened to lots of people who came to
adopt.  Quite frankly, I am not sure how these people put up with some of
the stuff they get!

Apparently there are enough ferrets coming through there that they have
adoption prices listed with those for cats and dogs.  They also had a
book on the care of ferrets for purchase at an affordable price.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading to the end.  And, thank you,
Bill, for the opportunity.

renee :) &
The Poop-in-the-Corner Gang:
Shadow, Oscar, Sir Walter, Bubbles, Dodger, Swee' Pea and Maggie Mae

Over the Rainbow: Sammie, Smokey, Brumbey, Li'l Girl, Peytah, Buddy,
Rosie and Giggles