Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:32:24 -0700
We're most upset with the changes we've just been advised of with the
distribution of Totally Ferret and wonder if they're doing the same thing
in other areas of the country?  Our business (pet supplies and shelter) has
been using Totally Ferret for our shelter ferrets for the past 5 years
(since we first opened our public shelter) and promoting and selling it
to our customers.

We've gone through the bad batches of food, the recalls, the failure to
acknowledge problems with their product and now we receive a letter telling
us we can no longer by directly from them.  We're just too small.  (A
$2,000 minimum order has never seemed small to us.)

A month after they raised their prices to us, Performance Foods has now
announced that if we want to use/sell Totally Ferret we can no longer
purchase through them, but instead must purchase from African North West.
This company is based in Seattle, they are primarily an animal supplier to
pet stores.  They sell sick and pregnant animnals to all of the worst pet
stores in our area and we will not and cannot in good conscience, do
business with this company.  We have never sold, nor promoted Marshall Farm
products, primarily because they distribute our ferret friends and dogs to
laboratories.

We are therefore announcing to our customers that we can no longer provide
them with Totally Ferret food.

I've gone back through the FML archives and ferreted out ;-) all of the
posts on food that I can find.  We have switched our shelter ferrets to The
Ferret Stores Superior Choice, which we will continue to carry.  But I'm
looking for other high quality foods to offer our ferret customers in the
Seattle area.  I've zoomed in on Ultimate by 8 in 1, perhaps Mazuri and
Zupreme.  Staying away from the cat foods, I'd really like comments about
these 4 foods as well as other foods you may think are excellent quality
for our companions.

Food has been discussed numerous times on the FML, so please feel free to
write me directly if you feel this might only be of interest to me and
boring to others.  Thanks in advance!  :-)

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125