From:
Sharon Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:42:18 EST
To the health experts,

With all this talk of diet restriction and fat ferrets, I have the
opposite question about Rocky.  He is very active (when awake LOL) but
doesn't like to eat very much, though I have tried all kinds of food
(and he won't eat meat in any form).

Rocky is 17 in. long; about 23 including the tail.  The last time he was
at the vet he was 2 lbs.  He lost 2 oz. after I took in a rescue, which
upset him so much.

Though he is not emaciated, I can easily feel his spine and rib cage.
His legs are short and stocky and he's a great jumper.

I don't think he has put on any winter weight, as he did last year when
he was about 8 months in December.

He eats 2 or 3 times in 24 hours.  Often I have to coax him to eat.  He
was a great eater as a kit, and not at all finnicky, until I took in the
other ferret (who didn't stay).

What I want to know is, does he eat enough?  Is he too thin?

I feed him Totally Ferret mixed with Zupreem, he gets some meat-based
treats, a bit of ferretone as a reward and a little Ferretvite.

As he is my first and only ferret, I worry about his health a lot.

Thanks,
Shron