From:
"Ronald L. Sims" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:30:01 -0500
>I have recently bought a ferret that is four months old.  Until now, she
>has never had a toy, only other ferrets to keep her company.  Her nails
>are so long I am afraid to cut them for fear of cutting too short.  She
>also bites very hard nad has drawn blood.  I have tried every form of
>training that I know and nothing seems to be working.  Zoe, that's her
>name, has had such little contact with people nad I fear that she is too
>old to learn otherwise.  I play with her often, but when I try to pick her
>up or take her out of her cage, she bites me.  I am not sure what to do
>about her.

Dear Rainie:
Don't dispair, and don't give up on Zoe.  4 months in a ferret is not too
old for changing habits.  Always show love, talk quietly and lovingly and
try to find heavy Snowmobile Gloves.  We had a fuzzy that had 4 to 5 years
of abuse (a 6'+ male animal, would kick "Lucky" a 1.5 lb.  hob whenever
Lucky got out of his breeding cage).  The last I heard, Lucky is in Ohio
and is a loving 5 lb.  boy (am I right KG?).  It took a long time for Lucky
to learn that not all hooman beans are mean and nasty.  Love, time and
patience will work wonders.  Rev.Ron Sims,D.D.& Family: 8 hooman beans, 14
fabulous ferts, 6 clever?  canines, & 2 fursome felines.