From:
Heather Archambeault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 03:19:54 -0900
As I said at the end of my last post, I do not hold it against anyone
who choses not to feed raw &/or whole prey to their pets. Nor does
anyone that I know who feeds it. It's a matter of personal choice.
Everyone that I know that feeds raw &/or whole prey simply recognizes
that raw & whole prey is far more nutritionally complete for their pets
than kibble is.

My response was merely to address the claim that feeding live prey
makes them aggressive. It will NOT make them aggressive by any means.

>I am sure there are folks on the live preygroups you mention that have
>not had increased aggression - but thereare likely as many that do
 (as well as)
>Owners of cats, dogs, ferrets, fennec foxes, and more often find that
>live fed pets are much more prone to aggression. People feed live
>prey like rabbits and cats to dogs that they are training to fight -
>because it makes them meaner.

That is an assumption. There's no proof that a carinvore who is given
raw/whole prey becomes more aggressive. If there is an aggressive
problem, there is likely another issue at stake. In reference to your
mention of fighting dogs, these are dogs they breed to fight. They
may feed animals to their fighting dogs because they think it will
make them meaner, but it's the way they treat them, & encourage them
to fight that makes them meaner, not the meat they feed.

I recently got into Bengal Cats, & have done a lot of research on
them, & have been networking with many Bengal owners. I have heard
many times, that if Bengals do not get enough protein, it can make
them "kinda nutty", to the point where they need psych meds, & many
people ENCOURAGE supplementing their diet with raw meat, so they become
healthier, well adjusted animals...(LESS aggressive on a raw diet-go
figure). I will also be adding whole prey as well.

There is not one "complete nutrition" kibble out there. Period. There
are some that are about as good as kibble can be, but in every kibble,
there is something that is not necessarily benefitial to the animal.
One thing with all kibbles is that they are all very low in moisture,
also, "high protein" does not always mean it's very digestible. (Part
of the protein may come from plant source-not digestible to ferrets).

The most recent American Ferret Report that just arrived happens to
have an article on feeding a natural diet to ferrets. There's also a
chart that compares the nutrition value of an adult mouse to various
kibbles. Even top ranked foods do not come close in comparing
nutritional value in whole prey.

As Ialso said before, most ferrets don't see rodents as a food source,
becaue the have been imprinted on kibble. Many ferrets who are kibble
raised, can play along side of various rodents, with no thought of
killing it & making it a meal.

It takes time to transition a kibble imprinted ferret to raw or whole
prey.

Please clarify the reference to kinkajous. I do not see what they have
to do with feeding raw/whole prey. I know they are int the "carnivore"
category, because of their teeth, but they have a primarily omnivore
diet.

There are many ferrets that live long lives even on low quality kibble.
Once again, I do not judge anyone for not feeding raw or whole prey, or
the best rated kibbles for that matter. People are going to chose what
they want for their kids.

I am not disputing that animals can live long happy lives on kibble, I
am disputing your statement;

>The main problem with feeding any domestic animal live prey is that
>they often instinctively become more aggressive- they have to in
>order to survive- they have to hunt their food and kill it to live

Any domestic animal that kills & eats another animal (cats catching
mice & birds, dogs catching squirrels & rabbits,etc) does not make
them "revert" back to being a wild animal mentality, as some people
think. Domestic animals do not have to fight to survive unless they
are neglected. Even if a animal is neglected, maybe abandoned & has
to search out their food, does not become aggressive if they
catch/kill/eat an animal. They may become fearful of humans, (& act
aggressively) if they were mistreated, or if they were born feral, but
the act of killing an animal for food does not make them aggressive.

You used snakes as an example in your first post;

>Snakes truly need the whole animal prey as it is the onlycomplete food
>that is optimal for their health as no suitable substitute has been
>created

Whole animal prey is the only complete food for ferrets, dogs & cats as
well. ANY kibble foods, regardless of their quality are not nutrionally
"complete".

I am not trying to get you to feed raw or whole prey, by any means,
I am only standing up against false statements made about feeding
raw/whole prey. If someone choses to feed kibble, I only hope they do
their research, start reading labels, & find the best one for their
kids.