From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 15:33:27 EST
Dear Subscribers,
I will try to make this as brief as possible.  I truly regret my comments
regarding my experiences with vets.  I'm not sorry for what I wrote but that
I wrote it at all.  Some things are better kept to ones self.  I joined the
fml to share and mainly benefit from the information and experiences of
other ferret owners and/or experts not to socialize or criticize.  I take
the health and welfare of my pets just as serious as that of myself or my
children for that matter.  I never considered myself any better than one of
them.  Sound crazy?  Maybe.  I've been told that a lot but who am I to
judge, who are WE to judge.  I truly believe that we were given the greater
intelligence to look over our counterparts not dominate or exploit them and
therefore I believe it is also our responsibility to insure their safety and
well being.  For everyone who assumes that simply being human makes them
better, think again.  I guess I always preferred the company of animals to
people because they are true and non-judgemental and give love willingly and
unconditionally.  For these reasons I am short tempered with some people if
they are not willing to go to the extent that I am or make what is to me a
life or death matter a money matter.  I know that everyone is entitled to
their own opinion and beliefs and I should not try to push mine off on them
but it's not within me to understand how anyone could turn their back on an
animal in need anymore than they could a child.  I feel for everyone, no
more or less, than if they were my own and I cry for them as well.  I didn't
mean to offend those who really do care when I wrote that there has to be
one vet in Gregs area who cares more for the animals than the money.  I
guess my experiences have made me bitter.  I thought that vets chose the
profession because they shared the same love for animals and since I could
never turn one away I assumed they would not either.  I still have great
respect for vets in general, even envy.  I wanted to become a vet myself but
the emotional toll of losing an animal, mine or other, has always been very
hard on me.  When I read the next days digest and saw the comment about vets
and "come peoples" opinions I figured they meant me and felt a need to
explain myself and past experiences.  That only served as fuel for the fire.
So let me bow out now, with what ever grace I still can before I offend some
one else.

Thanks for the time,
        Irena...Lucy's mom