From:
"Lange, Sandra SJ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:40:16 +1000
My house-mate has accused me of being one-eyed in relation to relations
between my ferrets and my cat.

I think that Gemma-the-cat is the one who initiates the trouble, but Cate
reckons it is the ferrets.  Gemma generally pounces over the ferret, but
occassionaly will grab a passing ferret.  Other times, the ferrets wander
over to Gemma of their own accord.  Sometimes it occurs when the ferrets
come out from under a blanket and the cat happens be on top of that
blanket on the couch.

They end up in a wrestling hold accompanied by some sort of hissing and
meowing, and Gemma runs away.  The ferrets look after her, sometimes with
their tails bristling (it's only one ferret at a time, but they have both
been in this).  I'm not sure, but I think it is Gemma who makes the most
noise, but I have seen the ferrets make multiple wriggles attempting to
turn around to face Gemma.

I can tell that sometimes Princess just wants to play with Gemma, because
she is wardancing and bouncing all over the bean bag while chasing Gemma.

I am a bit concerned about potential injuries.  Any ideas how to tell the
difference between play and fighting, and how to stop it?  If it is
fighting, will either species learn to leave the other one alone?

Sandra, Clover, Princess and Gemma-the-nine-month-old-cat.