From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:40:39 -0500
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post a while ago about tumors.
Here's a summary of the anecdotal experiences that people shared with me.

In general these tumors are thought to be largely benign, and though they
may cause some irritation, are seldom life threatening.  Though some people
have removed what they thought was a mast cell tumor, and it turned out to
be something much more serious, or something unknown.  Someone suggested a
punch biopsy, instead of more invasive surgical methods.  In general, it is
thought that they are not malignant, thought they can be irritating, and
it is best to look at the overall health of the ferret when considering
removal.  There are many great medical FAQ's at FerretCentral, including
one on tumors that I have downloaded on disc for easy reference.  So I
guess, just keep an eye on any skin problems, and if your ferrets health
is good and you can afford it, have the tumors removed and biopsied just
in case.

Thanks again,
Lara