From:
"William A. Killian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:43:41 -0400
The discussion on this has been bill and diane might or might not agree with
all the comments.  If you hate it its me only of course.

>From:    Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: National Organization
>By the way, our group is comprised of members of AFA, LOS and former
>FURO members who are all working together for the common good.

Just as it should be.  The Maryland and DC coalitions run by Diane Rogers
work(ed) the same way.

>From:    Cheryl M Forbis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: National Organisation
>I'm going to get this out quickly and move on.  I agree with Rebecca Murdock
>and others on this.  We already have clubs and groups that handle show
>standards and such.  What is needed now is an organisation that brings are
>lovable fuzzies up to the same or higher level than the dog.

The dog world model is a single major national organization (the AKC) with
several rivals that handle other dogs (UKC, USKC, etc)

Standards are made by the clubs representing the individual breeds but then
"elevated" by the AKC when forwarded to them.

The AKC does the non-show things but the financing for the "important" stuff
is the shows and registrations.  Fees paid for AKC sanctioning, pedigrees,
and the like support the loftier goals.

In the East Coast show hotbed for ferrets, the shows normally serve the same
purpose.  The Baltimore show (independant non-sanctioned) supports the
Baltimore Ferret Club's shelter.  The SOS show (also independant and
non-sanctioned) supported three Maryland shelters.  The AFA shows support
the legislative and other positive goals of the AFA.

Don't dismiss shows until you understand all of their purposes.  It matches
the dog world.  check out http://www.akc.org/

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: National Organization
>Freddie Hoffman told me that when the AFA met with HSUS to express similar
>concerns at an earlier meeting, they were not particularly well received so,
>for whatever reason, time, space, or HSUS attitude, it benefitted the ferret
>community to be invited by HSUS to meet at Expo, and to be represented by
>new faces.

One might look to see what changed within the HSUS that led up to their
change on ferrets.  It REAL easy to explain.  There was good work on the
part of some to put on a demonstration to the HSUS but it took internal
changes to reach the current stauts.

In the years before Sharon Burbine and folks finally achieved legalization
in Massachusetts the efforts were led by Martha Armstrong.  She did much
ground work that with the additional fine work by the newer forces in
Massachusetts acheived their present status.

When you look to the pronouncements about the HSUS's new policies you'll
note a major change in the names representing the HSUS and see Martha
Armstrong.

We have a ferret supporter INSIDE the HSUS.  We can finally preach to the
choir inside.  As Martha gains influence so will ferrets.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 6/16 update on organization comments received for inclusion in FML
>Could we PLEASE, have an unbiased VOLUNTEER to look into EVERY large group
>and compile what they are achieving, what their methods are,what their
>problems are, if those are being addressed and how, and so on?

I of course have opinions but based on my research into this topic I can no
longer be considered unbiased.  I'll share what I think if people want to
know.

>POSSIBLE PEOPLE NOMINATED SO FAR (most without the addresses I need and
>requested) TO BE VOTED AMONG FOR THE FML PORTION OF THE DESIGN COMMITTEE
>WHICH WILL DEVELOP THE POSSIBLE GROUP'S CONSTITUTION, GOALS, FORMAT, ...

I did not seek this sort of recognition.  I will accept whatever role that
the Ferret Digest readership would want me to take.  Its pretty obvious I do
have some opinions on the matter but would not sabotage this group.  I have
no official duties in any existing group so it would not be a conflict of
interest.

There is a purpose and a very good urpose to this discussion and part of the
discussion has been whether to do a new group and if so should it be meant
to supplement or try to supercede the current groups.  The inclusion of
supporters of this movement as a support group or a means to enhance the
existing groups along with stronger supporters of forming a whole new group
is good.  Diversity of opinions has merits.

I am honored to have been mentioned.  Thank you - however you were.  Thats
a pretty good list to have been included with.

>From:    Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Excuse Me - Response
>It was also mentions that the AFA works slower because it is larger and
>more involved than other organizations.

I'm afraid you misunderstood my point.  I had said the AFA responded slowly
with "formal reponses to a forum such as this" not that they "acted slowly".

Randy Sellers is cited as "the first one to fly in" for example in the Kodo
incident.

It is political gadflies that force this "slowness with words" that does not
force a "slowness with deeds".

>BTW, do you think that all the "big" names from LIFE, AFA, FURO, etc. . .
>could drop the differences and work together

Honestly?  Sure I'll always answer any question as honestly as I can.

By the groups you mentioned in order:
  some but not all
  yes (with some hesitant)
  some but not all
  some but not all

I see some former rivals slowly coming together co-operating partially under
the umbrella of the AFA right now.  Some were very anti-AFA and even a part
of LIFE but are now trying to put ferrets ahead of personal egos.

>From:    zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Even more on National efforts

I am sorry if some are upset about any comments I make mentioning specific
people and events.  I do not want to be a party to personal attacks.  I will
only mention thing if I think it serves a very specific purpose and do not
mean things as attacks.  I do not intend to bring up all the nit-picky
gossip.  It annoys me as much as anyone I know.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.zenferret.com/