From:
Clare Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:20:57 -0500
We rescued a ferret who was definitely neglected and possibly abused.  We
haven't seen any sign of nightmares, but she once had what I would describe
as a panic attack.  About a week after Bridgett came to live with us, she
fell off Bill's shoulder.  He caught her, so she didn't fall very far.  She
began to emit loud screams which continued until Bill put her back in her
hammock.  For a couple of hours afterward, she was very skittish and cringed
whenever I moved my hand towards her.  I wonder if falling triggered some
terrible memory.  None of our other ferrets are afraid of falling.  This
never happened again.  Bridgett soon learned to play and do the ferret
dance.  Now, after nearly a year with us, she still has a different facial
expression than the other ferrets--sort of a sad expression.  She seems
playful and secure, but I think her past has scarred her.  How long have you
had Natasha?  I hope her fears and bad memories will fade.

One more observation about ferrets' memories: Buttercup is the only one of
our ferrets who is afraid of our dog.  When she was tiny kit, Lupi (43
pounds) dragged her cage across the floor in an attempt to get her dish of
chicken baby food.  We wonder if she remembers that.

Clare Sebok