From:
Barry Childs-Helton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:34:41 +0500
Our club has been asked to help place a special needs ferret.  She is 5
1/2-6 years old, and had a stroke while undergoing adrenal surgery.  She
is conscious, not in pain, and gives and receives affection (she's a love
sponge).  She can swallow, eat, drink, etc.  She has very little control
over her legs, but she can move her head and neck.  Her name is Levi and
she's a gorgeous butterscotch with a white bib.

Levi will need help eating (she eats A/D from a feeding syringe easily,
same with water), and with elimination (and the clean-up that follows).
She will also need some daily physical therapy to either help restore
some of her motion or keep her muscles from wasting.  She will be a very
high-maintenance ferret and her owner can't keep her because her job won't
allow for her to care for her in the middle of the day.  But Levi also will
give you tons of love in return--when she hears a voice she moves her neck
as far as she can to see who it is, then looks at you with a "come pet me
now" look.  She stretches her head up for affection.

Ideally, Levi needs someone who is home all day or much of the day, who can
feed her and help with elimination about 4 times a day, keep her clean,
give her her physical therapy, etc.  Better yet would be someone in the
central Indiana area because the owner would like to visit, etc., but our
primary concern is getting her placed.  Given her age and condition, this
will probably not be a long-term committment, but if things go well Levi
could live another 1-2 years.  The only other option is to go ahead and
euthanize her, and the owner understandably doesn't want to have to make
this decision.

If you can help this little girl, please respond to me directly at
[log in to unmask] and send a copy to [log in to unmask]
since my incoming e-mail box is screwed up.  At least this way our
webmaster can get it and let me know.  If I don't get back to you
immediately it's because I'm out of town through Sunday.  Feel free to
pass this on to people you know you may be interested.  Many thanks from
Levi and her owner.

Sally Childs-Helton
Rescue and Adoption Committee
Circle City Ferret Club