From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 18:18:30 -0400
>Any suggestions on why he likes to chew on plastic bags?  I am so afraid
>he is going to shallow some of the plastic.

That is a habit which could kill him.  Keep such things away from him.
All he needs is to get too large a piece in his respiratory tract for
sudden death, or in his GI tract for prolonged illness and either a major
surgery or death.

Heads up to newbies:

So often we run into folks thinking that something neurological is going
on when they don't know yet to look first for more common problem like
blood sugar levels.  Please, don't wait till a ferret is ill to learn
about illnesses: how some are transmitted (a lack of knowledge on this
score has led to deaths), what the most common symptoms are of common
illnesses, how to handle emergencies, etc.  Also, DO have a medical check
up for every new ferret as well as full vaccine series, fecal check, and
dental check, and ask your vets what they like done about after hours
emergencies.  I am so tired right now of crying over ones who died because
the owners didn't know how easily heartworm or canine distemper can be
caught, or who bright home ECE and lost an elderly ferret, or of
comforting sweet folks whose vets didn't send some Florinef and Pred.
home after a late week adrenal surgery only to have the ferret crash.
Please, KNOWLEDGE SAVES LIVES.  Learn at least the basics before they
are needed.

>What got under my skin even more was when they called

Okay, not more, but further if you know what I mean.  The ferret was just
dead and could have possibly lived if they'd used the refs they lost, plus
the whining of the teen for new critter right after one died needlessly...

>"i always wanted a ferret but i never had the money and know that i am
>older i still cant because i have bills, anyone who does not want or
>need homes please e-mail me thank you i hope to recive any ferret because
>i wanna breed them"

That is scary.  Talk about a possible future medical neglect situation
that could then also become an inbreeding one... The cost of the ferrets
is so much lower than that of the medical care needed to be fair to the
ferrets.

Sukie
For ferret health info: