Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:51:59 PDT
Yesterday I took our 2 year old Silver Mitt (Cleo) along with our 1 year
old Dark Eyed White (Ceaser) into the the vet for their annual shots.  The
vet (we moved states and are seeing a new vet) gave Cleo her annual shots
and then proceeded onto Ceaser to give him his annual shots.....this is not
the first time for either of them and they never (none of our four have)
have had a reaction to the shots....the vet even said she gave them the
same as our other vet had given them....about 5 mins.  after hers hots Cleo
started the action of throwing up.....she threw up about 3 times that I
saw, one of the nurses had her over the sink for awhile and I was unable to
tell just how many times she threw up.....the vet gave her a steroid shot
and then about 5 mins.  later she began to have diarrea then after about
two diarrea accidents a nurse was holding her and she lost it.....the nurse
said to the vet "IS IT SUPPOSE TO HAVE BLOOD IN IT"....I about freaked out
at this time.....for a good 30 mins she was haveing (bacially bleeding from
the anal area) bloody diarrea.....the vet gave her a shot of
Benedryl.....she got better but never really stopped (completely) the
bleeding....So I perceeded to take them both home....Ceaser never reacted
to his shots.....on the way home she was unable to get comfortable and
fall asleep she again started throwing up....the second time she did it
but reddish in color....I immediately turned around and took her back....
to find out that she had just stopped bleeding....the vet was baffled she
has never seen such a reacation and was going to call the manuf.  to tell
them....they gave her something to calm her stomach and gave her fluids
after another 30 mins.  she seemed to have calmed down quite abit and
actually napping....I brought them home....which she seems to be doing
great now....she has eaten and drinken....but her bowel movement was
reddish in color and mucus like.

Has anybody had such a reaction and is this common....something that I
noticed was that she weighed in a two different weights....the first time
at 2.0 then while waiting to been seen she got on scales again but this
time it was 1.8....can this make a difference or was it what the vet said
"A bad mixture of the vaccines"?

I really could use some helpful advice here....It personally terrifed me
with the blood and all but at the same time CAN I TRUST THIS VET AGAIN.....
she had a ferret at one time and has treated another ladies ferrets where
some of hers had reactions but nothing like what my Cleo had.

Cleo is doing great now that she is home and with the others but we are
still keeping an eye on her for awhile.

Thanks in advance to your suggests.

Joy Jarrett and the Four Jedi's (lol)
Sandy, Scooter, Cleopatra, Ceaser