From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 21:24:11 EDT
The following is the first part of a series I did and altho this is as
ferrets only zone the information and methods discussed here are equally
valid regardless of the species.

Deaf Dog Training

first let me make it clear I am not an animal trainer in any respect.  What
I will pass on to the reader is what I have seen used and seen work well in
actual cases of a dog who has lost or is losing the ability to hear the
range of sounds commonly made by the human voice .

This first section is devoted to information that will give the person
establishing communication with a deaf dog the ground rules for that form of
communication that uses visual motion and specific signaling devices usually
reserved for deaf humans.  They are mime, American Sign Language and
mechanical and electrical devices used to signal or communicate all aspects
of life usually communicated thru sound alone.

First is MIME...
A large part of communication with the deaf is based in mime, or body
language.  A smile indicated a happy message, a frown one of a serious
nature.

Second is  SIGN LANGUAGE.
Sign language makes lieing very difficult if not impossible...ie: one cannot
sign 'I love you' with a frown and a threatening body stance...it won't
work...love involves the facial and body motions of joy and caring, no other
way makes sense.  So when signing to a deaf dog all of you must agree with
the message you wish to transmit.  NEVER try to deceive with signs, it only
confuses and frightens the dog.

When that same dog was a puppy you gently pushed the rump down to a sitting
position while reciting sit and then gave lavish praise for the correct
position assumed.  Do the same with the sign for sit..ie: sign sit, push
rump gently but firmly to a sitting position and again firmly sign 'sit'.,
then pour on the petting and ear scratchings and love pats.  (the specific
signs will come in a later section to give you the correct signs to use,
they are simple and easy to learn and execute) In no time the dog will
connect the old training procedure and the 'sit' sign and even often the lip
movements for the command to 'SIT".  All other signs work the same way.  It
is interesting to note the sign for dog is to slap your leg and extend your
hand outward while snapping your fingers.  A perfect imitation of a human
calling 'Rover' over for a pat and a scratch.  Try not to vocalise at all
when training your dog to signs, instead mouth the words if you must but
best yet, just stick to the signs and leave all verbal skills out of the
training.  Otherwise you will lean on those verbal skills and may confuse
the animal you are working with.

I will share with you where I learned all this information.  I was a Deaf
Studies major at a So. Calif. Univ. and had many deaf friends there and in
my community and I was amazed at how well trained and well behaved their
pets were.  After a Sunday bar-b-que with loads of dogs doing tricks I asked
the obvious (I thought) question.  "Where did everyone find all these deaf
dogs?' That got a laugh from everyone and I was gently told the owners were
deaf not the dogs.  The canine group were all hearing dogs!  BUT, please
don't try to use verbal commands as it would confuse and upset the pups.
All those pets were communicating in the language of their beloved owners
and needed no other communication to show love and to be well trained and
obedient and do a boat load of complex tricks.  I was fascinated and really
started to pay attention!

The signing area is from waist to about 6 in. overhead and from just outside
the frame of the shoulders, forming a box like a TV screen.  Nearly all
signs were executed in that area so they are easy to see, and so it was with
the dogs.  Many trainers proudly show a hand signal for down and for come
and everyone wants those commands as well as the stay command as these
essential visual signs can save a pets life if it get out into traffic or
some other equally deadly hazard.  But how about 'phone' , or 'out' or
'dinner', or 'jump', or 'dance', or 'roll over', or 'play dead', or
'doorbell', or 'crawl', or 'fetch', or any of a dozen other commands.  Your
pet may not be able to hear but they see lots better than we do and are very
alert by their very nature.  Your pet didn't suddenly get stupid, just deaf,
so its up to you to teach new communication signals that use visual signs
instead of sounds.

Third is DEVICES.
A commonly asked question is 'How do I call my pet inside at night when he
can't see me sign or when camping and I want him to come to me but its pitch
dark out?' Get a first rate flashlight and rapidly push the on and off
button to cause a fast strobe effect, then have someone shine a flash light
on you and sign come, then repeat.  When the dog comes to you out of
curiosity at this new behavior, you reward him and pour on the praise.  Then
lead him out into the dark and go back to the starting area and flash the
light, very soon he will learn the light flashing means come for treats and
loves etc.  and he will come every time you flash a light whether its a
porch light or a flashlight on a camping trip.  'OK, But what if he is
asleep in the yard?' Put a super bright high wattage halogen light up at the
roof line, and flash that fast, no critter can sleep through that brilliant
light for long.  Try it yourself and you'll see.  'How can I get his
attention in the house if he looking another way?' Stomp sharply on the
floor and or clap your hands sharply and hard.  The concussion carries thru
the floor and the hand clap causes sharp air movement, it's how a deaf Mom
gets a deaf child's attention.  Or a hearing Mom of a deaf child or spouse
for that matter.  Dogs are much more sensitive than humans and catch on much
faster to these signals.

To recap: Sign at chest center for easy readability.  Use flashing lights
and concussive sound to get attention and signal the 'come to me' command.
Use body language and facial expression to transmit the mood of the command.
Use loads of physical rewards such as petting treats and hugs to show your
pleasure.

Remember, your pet wants to be able to show love and have you back
communicating with him a hundred times as much as you want those things back
in your relationship.  Your pet has used signs all its life!  No?.  Yes!!!
The paw on the knee to get you to pet him or her.  The nose nudge to get
ears scratched.  Many dogs smile and frown just like humans.  Licking your
face to show joy and love.  Running in circles to show excitement.  drooping
tail and head to show shame or 'Sorry'.  There are lots more each pet owner
can identify with two minutes thought.  So now you teach him or her a few
new signs and their meanings to you and communication is returned.  With one
huge advantage: You can sign 'I love you' from a block away and give
commands no one knows your giving and your pet will do all those neat tricks
with not a word from you.  Unless someone knows your pet is deaf you will
have a rapt audience that thinks you two are the most clever duo they ever
saw!  And if they ask you or guess the pet is deaf, they will think you are
that much more amazing!

Deafness in a pet need not be end of a relationship, with a little love and
work it can be the beginning of a whole new closeness even better than when
your pet could hear.
 dayna

 dayna frazier   102046,3162
'resident of the 'Marvellous Menagerie of Mirthful Mayhem'
             MMOMM!!!