From:
Juliana Paulauskas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:22:40 -0500
I would like to respond to the vet who wrote in to say that ferret owners
should be wary of advice coming from veterinary assistants on FML and to
stick with advice from more experienced veterinarians:

I will be as polite as possible.  I went to THREE such experienced people
only to find that I received more misleading information from them than I
did from all of the FML people COMBINED!  I went to one such vet who said he
"knew all about ferrets".  So, I trusted him with my precious Misty who had
begun chewing  everything in sight, losing weight, losing hair, and who had
stopped eating.  This EXPERIENCED vet told me that my ferret had a "behavior
problem" and that I should try changing her food! Well, if he knows more
about animals than just the assistants, than he should have known that Misty
had an adrenal tumor on her right adrenal gland that make her extremely weak
and feeble.  He would not and could not answer any of my questions
concerning her weight loss and practically shoved me out the door.
(Needless to say that he is now being investigated after I wrote a 4 page
complaint to the Veterinary Medical Examiner)  I thank goodness that I
trusted my intuition and decided to get another opinion (as well as several
from the people on the FML and Dr. Williams).  She is now alive and thriving
no thanks to these experienced people (with the exception of Dr. Williams
who is simply wonderful). She is alive because I tried everything possible,
talked with as many "nonexperienced" people as I could, and gave her more
love and prayers than I ever did for anyone in my life.

Many of the people on the FML have owned ferrets for many many years and
have gotten their experience the hard way.  I always seek the advice of a
vet when needed but I will also continue to consult with those who work hard
to help all the ferret owners on the FML.

VIVA LA FERRET
Julie and The Fuzz Factory --Sobriety, Charity, and Misty