From:
Finder Longsorrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:35:06 -0400
>From: David Weinreb <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Relocation
>What's with this increase in ferret relocation. If you don't have time
>for a fuzzball, don't get one.

Whatever an individual's reason for seeking a better home for their ferrets
I would much rather have them feel comfortable coming to the FML to do it
than finding a quieter way (e.g., the dog pound, the woods, or leaving them
to pine away in a cage in the basement).

It takes no little courage to post a letter like that to a list full of
ferret owners lucky enough to be able to give their charges the care they
deserve.  With the judgemental responses to almost every topic posted in the
last month I for one wouldn't have the fortitude to post such a request.

Giving people a hard time about this does nothing more than hurt feelings
and discourage others from using the FML as a resource when such a difficult
decision comes up.  Whether the animal was a beloved pet or an impulse
purchase at least their owners are now responsible enough to try to find
them a loving home.

melissa a. durfee