From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 02:12:58 -0700
Hello --

I am a new member of FML.  I have five ferrets and want to build them a
large outdoor pen under some trees.  The pen will essentially be a wire
cube (walls, floor, ceiling), with the floor covered with sod.

Is it true that galvanized coating is toxic to animals such as ferrets
that chew?  I have found one source of non galvanized wire mesh -- TWP
of Berkeley CA.  Do you know of others?

The completed pen will have a ceiling to keep out potential predators
(and part of it will be solid to give complete shade).  However, I would
like to create this pen in two stages.  Would it be possible to prevent
ferrets from climbing out by curling the wire walls inward over the top?
If so, how far into the pen should the curl go, and how far down should
the curl's end be (I hope this last question makes sense!)?  Another way
to look at it is -- can ferrets travel upside down on wire??

I plan to make a tunnel from their indoor cage to the outdoor pen
(through the exterior house wall their indoor cage is next to).  Of
course I need to be certain that this tunnel is secure, and I also want
to be able to easily close it off to keep the ferrets inside at times.
What suggestions do you have for its construction and materials?

Thanks!

RiccoRobertAdaTinaArtie