From:
Bobby and Jane Petty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 08:29:48 -0600
About a year ago, I discovered Tally laying in her hammock, frothing at the
mouth in a near comotose state.  I rushed her to my local vet who diagnosed
her as having dangerously low blood glucose levels, about 20 (normal for
ferrets is about 100).  He determined that she had pancratic tumors which
was causing an overproduction of insulin (insulinoma).  The vet referred me
to the Univ.  of Oklahoma Vet College and about a week later, they operated.
This was after I spent many hours sending out email msgs to many of you on
if the diagnosis sounded correct and if the surgery was the best option.

Well, I'm happy to report that Tally, nearly 7 years old now, is doing
GREAT.  We had a scare about three months ago when her glucose was very low
again, but it was probably as a result of the size of her pancreas being
reduced from the surgery, not necesarily cancer.  She is getting 1 mg of
prednisone twice per day, along with a small amount of brewers yeast.  She
is more active than she was when she was a pup.  She chews on her cage ("LET
ME OUT NOW!"), romps around for about 45 mintues before she finds her
favorite sleeping place in the bedroom and digs up our potted plants with
the greatest of vigor (man, she can throw dirt far).  Her staring spells
have nearly ceased and she's put on all the weight she lost.

We appreciate all the help the members of the ferret list have given in
helping us learn about ferret diseases and care.  It's great to have a
resource for ferret owners to go to find out more about their pets.  I
appreciate all who have helped to make Tally well again.

Bobby, Jane, and Tally
Enid, OK

(p.s.  -- now that we give her medicine twice a day [mixed with ferretone --
yum], she is a lot more affectionate than she was.  We think it's as a
result of seeing "us," versus the food bowl, as a source of food.  This is
our 2nd ferret, and we have heard about the benefits of hand-feeding, but
now we can see the results.  If you have a pup, you may want to consider
hand feeding at first -- it may make for a more affection fuzzy.)