From:
Jeri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:14:01 -0600
I don't often post but I am a faithful reader and have learned so much
about our furry friends.  I am also entertained by the many ferret antics
and saddened when one of our friends must leave his/her human friend behind
on this earth, even if it is temporary.

I just want to add something about the two drugs (Ivomec and Dectomax) that
were discussed.  Both of these drugs are macrolide endectocides and are
used for many parasitic skin infestations and some internal parasitic
infections.  However, they are not the same drug.  Ivermectin is the
generic name for Ivomec, Eqvalan, and Heartgard 30.  These are trade names
used by various manufacturers.  (The human counterpart of Ivermectin is
Mectizan Ivomec)  The generic name for Dectomax is Milbemycin Oxime.  Other
trade names for this include Interceptor, Moxidextin, Cydectin, Doramectin,
and Abramectin.  However, the indications for both drugs are the same.
Also, it would appear that both drugs use pretty much the same mechanism of
action which is too long and technical to go into.  As far as availability
of Doramectin in the United States, I do not know.

For more information, I would advise to check out the Ferret FAQ
(http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq) or
http://vet.purdue.edu/depts/bms/courses/chmrx/nemathd.htm

I am not a vet but I do have a science degree and have taken several
pharmacology courses.

Regards,
Jeri Klein and the Fearsome Threesome