From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:16:58 CST6CDT
The alarm goes off at 3:45 a.m.  I get up and get Gizz's early breakfast
ready, warm it slightly and sit down to hold him while he laps it up.  He
eats well then finds a nice cozy place to curl up in.  Now if only I could.
Nope, have to keep an eye on the Gizz Bucket so he doesn't get into the food
so I start my morning chores.  Some of the ferrets get up to see what I am
doing and probably wondering WHY at this early hour (they can't sleep I'm
making too much noise).  5:30 and Gizz gets up to play with the others that
have already eaten their breakfast.  Now that he's awake how am I going to
take a shower and watch him too?  Oh well, maybe I'll just sit down on the
floor and play with them.  Yep, that's what I'll do.  So for 60 minutes we
roll around on the floor, tickle bellys, scratch backs and necks and play in
the tube (them not me).  O.k.  6:30 and I have to take a shower so I take
the food up and put the plexi-glass in the hall so Gizz will stay in the
living room.  He's zonked out again anyway.  6:45 I'm out of the shower and
dressed.  Take the barrier up and get the cage ready.  6:50 Gizz and I head
out the door and I let Gizzie play on the grass for the next 20 minutes till
Lynda gets there.  8:10 we arrive at the vet clinci and I put the lead on
Gizz and let him walk around outside for 15 minutes.  He spots a bush, a big
scratchy one, nope can't go there.... Gizz you come back here.  (sigh) Ouch,
yikes, got him.  Boy that bush bites.  O.k.  we'll walk over THERE.  Over
there Gizz turns and heads back for the bush so I go along till we get real
close then I swoop down and pick him up.  O.k.  we'll walk over there.  O.k.
back to the bush.  and Again.  Talk about radar.  Time to go in.  Go in and
let Gizz down on the floor.  He wanders off into the office area (oops).
Receptionist comes back and looks at him and looks at Dr. Snyder and asks
him to get him.  Is she afraid of him???  Could be.  She asks me "Do you
have a cage".  I smile sweetly and cheerfully say "oh yes I've got a cage".
Larry hands Gizz to me and I asked him if he was visiting the office and
tickle and hug him (Gizz not Larry).  Time to go.  Gizz goes to the back and
we leave.  11:30 I call and the receptionist tells me he's doing fine.  4:00
time to pick him up.  Gizz is sleeping peacefully and looks great.  Incision
is clean and he even has color coordinated stitches (white).  And I now have
another adrenal to add to my collection.

Some may ask why I do all this.  Well, this is how I look at it.  If
something were to happen and the little one didn't make it through surgery,
I'd want their last morning to be a pleasant one.  So I don't put them in a
cage and I do spend extra time with them that morning playing and visiting
the "outside".  And yes my day starts at 3:45 but they are worth it to me.

Ferry won't have surgery for a couple weeks.
Hugs to all.  tle