From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1993 13:00:02 -0400
> Subject: Show classes
> Date:   Wed, 21 Jul 1993 04:05:37 -0400
> From:   [log in to unmask] (Urban Fredriksson)
> To me, "geriatric" sounds a bit extreme. In Sweden, we call it
> "senior class", and it's for those aged 6 years or more. So far,

I agree, I don't particularly like the term "geriatric".  It just
reminds me that my little one is now old enough to really
start expecting geriatric problems.  :(

> What's "handicap class"? (From dog shows here, I know that
> injuries aren't taken into account, and since one of the main
> purposes with shows are to judge which animals to breed, anyone
> with an inheritable defect shouldn't enter at all.)

Again, I can only speak about FURO shows.  I don't know how the
IFA (or others) handle this.  We allow handicaps (missing tail,
blind, etc) into the "alter" class ONLY.  They must be altered,
because we don't want these animals to be bred.  The animals are
then judged as if the handicap didn't exist.  My vice president,
Cindy Sooy, has a wonderful little blind ferret named Cocoa.
He's won "Best of Show" at least once, and I think more than
once!  (Sorry, Cindy...  My memory is terrible.)  The fact is that
aside from being blind, he's nearly perfect.

Here in the U.S.A. ferret shows are geared as much towards *pets*
as they are towards breeders.  The breeders do utilize the shows
in helping their breeding lines, but since the vast majority of
ferrets in this country are "convenience kits", it would be foolhardy
to exclude them.  Besides, probably *THE* primary objective is to
educate the public and have ferrets more widely accepted.  So we
want as many pet owners involved as possible.  Not just the
breeders.

[Similar things are being recognized in dog shows too.  There's
a training class called (some unpronounceable german word ;-)
for unknown/misc/mongrel breed companion dogs.  Gives an
opportunity for people with "ordinary" dogs to participate in
shows with what is not much more than standard obedience
training mixed with some owner-dog exercise.]

Also, Urban, most shows have what are called "specialty classes"
which do not count for championship points.  They are just for fun.
Senior/geriatric, specific colors, and handicaps are popular in these.
(These generally cost around $5/ferret whereas championship rings
cost around $18)

Brad,   The pet stores may not go directly through the ferret
farms.  There is probably an intermediary distributor.  See if
you can find out who that is.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman       Internet - [log in to unmask]        GEnie - n.hartman4
President, Delaware Valley Ferret Club | CIS Grad Student, U. of Delaware
      ***  Caregiver to Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets  ***
  "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" - Kant