From:
Phyllis Berker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 1994 11:41:55 -0500
Re: Michael's comment about Mike Royko's column of Tues. 3/22. I'm a member
of the GCFA and it was our organization that found it necessary to go through
Royko in order to get our voice heard (in behalf of the ferrets) so that
folks would know the poor attitudes the ACS has with ferrets.  They hold cats
and dogs for awhile without euthanizing them, but if a ferret comes into
their facility, it's euthanized within hours.  There was some sort of rapport
at one time between the GCFA and ACS in Chicago, but that changed for
whatever reason.  The fomer director of the ACS, as I understand it, met
briefly with our current GCFA shelter director over the weekend. They passed
along info to each other, and we're trying to establish a working
relationship again so that any ferret brought into the ACS will be turned
over without any hassles to our GCFA ferret shelter.  Thanks to Mr. Royko and
his beautifully written column, the GCFA had a multitude of phone calls and
were thankful to know the situation.  The GCFA was never downgrading the ACS
in any way - we only requested that all ferrets be turned over to our shelter
that specifically deals with ferrets, has vets examine and/or treat them so
the ferrets can be adopted out to loving families.

Phyllis Berker/Illinois