From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 01:50:38 +0000
Judith, I would actually also have a few questions just to clarify.
Perhaps I misunderstood parts of your post.
>We have always tried to do the right thing with our ferrets: best
>accomodations, best food, toys and treats, exercise and play, even
>for my breeders.

Why... "even the breeders"?  I would think breeders need even MORE special
attention, best foods and proper exercise than any others.  Maybe just the
way I am reading it... do some people (not insinuating you) take less care
of breeders??  I usually take an element of offense to the phrase, when
people ask me if I have "breeders", I usually reply "No, I have beloved
pets whom I happen to breed".

>We have a sales contract requiring nuetering and spaying between 4 and
>10 months of age....We offer a 1 week 100% guarantee.  Meaning a ferret
>can be returned for any reason in that period of time.

Is that a standard contract for many small breeders?  Is mine out of line?
I offer 30 days for any reason to give time in case it doesn't work out....
and 1 full year against pre-existing health, genertic or breeding related
problems.

>I want every newbie that wants one of my babies to first adopt a shelter
>ferret.....!  I feel the older ferret would teach the human "newbie" about
>ferrets.  Okay, what do you all think of my idea?"

Now that I think is an excellent idea!  That is very similar to what I
do... I *do* breed and have rescue both and with almost all first time
owners I strongly reccomend a slightly older, already trained, calmer
ferret... and encourage them to take an older rescue first and consider a
kit later.