From:
"David C. Bonesteel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:31:36 -0400
My little girl Wanda had adrenal surgery two months ago.  Both glands were
removed as well as ligation of the vena cava.  She did well after surgery
and was put on prednisone, 1/4 tablet a day.  One month ago she had surgery
again to remove a rather large hairball from her stomach that had formed
since the previous surgery.  Prior to this, she was grinding her teeth,
pawing at her mouth and smacking her mouth after eating.  This was what
indicated that something was not right.  The vet gave me medicine to treat
for helicobacter as well after surgery.  She was put on Amoxidrops, Biaxin
and Pepcid AC to clear up these symptoms and it seemed to work.  Her energy
level was still not normal but I figured that would take time after two
major surgeries one month apart.  About a week ago, she started to exhibit
the same symptoms again, minus the teeth grinding.  She was again put on
Biaxin and Pepcid AC and was told to treat for 15 days this time instead of
10 days like the last.  He had also cut her prednisone back to every 3 days
to see how she did with that.  It has been a constant struggle to get the
meds and food in to her.  She is not eating on her own so I have been
giving her duck soup.  It seems to be the worse in the morning.  It has
been a week now and she is not doing any better and the vet doesn't know
what else he can do for her.  He has tried everything and seems to be at a
loss.  The vet that I go to is very ferret knowledgable and highly
recommended.  He told me to stop giving her all medications and to see how
she does.  He said that if she isn't better within 5 days then the only
thing to do is put her to sleep.  Her blood glucose has been in the
seventies the past two times we have checked it but he said that would not
make her this sick.  I had thought she might be getting insulinoma.  Please
if anyone has any advice on what to do it would be greatly appreciated.  I
am heartbroken at the idea of having to put my precious Wanda asleep.  She
is not quite four years old yet.  Thank you in advance for any help that
would be given.  I am sorry this is so long.

Jaki and the fabulous four - Mulberry, Chili, Wanda and Zoe