Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:28:52 -0800
I beleive that concering ferrets and dogs, love, patientce and proper
training is more important than the type of breed of dog.  I have both a
black lab and a long haired mini dauchshund and 4 ferrets, one cat and a
blue and gold macaw.  Now both dogs have at one time or another been known
to kill baby bunnies in the yard and chase stray cats out there too.  But
in our home they treat our other animals with respect.  They both were
separated when the ferrets came into the house and I still am very leary
with the lab, but she has actually ran away when a ferret has escaped from
the cage and was bugging her.  Proper introduction is the key, you can't
just stick two different animals together and "let the chips fall as they
please."  It takes time, reassurance with both and lots and lots of
patience.  If your are prone to tell your puppy "get the kitty" when it
gets old - it will chase cats and other animls.

For example: both dogs love my macaw - they get the goodies as Syd drops
them, and will walk away when Syd flies off the cage near them.  One day
this past late winter, both dogs were outside and a pair of Red Tailed
hawks have been nesting in the nearby neighboors yard.  Now the male came
swooping down after Tavi (who is smaller that a cat - only 10 pounds) and
Bandi the lab started barking and attacking him, causing the hawk to fly
away.  I did find out after the fact that the hawks can easily pick up a
small dog or cat for food.  Needless to say Tavi is not allowed out with
out Bandi anymore.  I guess what I am trying to say is that if you show
love and respect to all your animals they will learn to love and respect
each other (well at least respect)

My 4 ferrets - NiNi, Buddha, Spike and & Itz all think Tavi is the "momma
ferret" they all play and chase and have a ball together.  Please be sure
to check out the picture of Itz and Tavi having a little fun.

Lots of love
Barb and the Zoo

[Moderator's note: Well, at least I enjoyed the picture.  I don't include
attachments on the FML though, so it seems everyone else is just going to
have to wonder what they missed!  BIG]