From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 05:10:16 -0500
RE:  Flea spray -- *NEVER* buy anything that's sold in a grocery
store and don't use flea collars.  Your best bet would be to go to
your vet and pick up a pyrethrin based flea spray that says on the
label it is safe for kittens.  Never use any flea product on a
ferret that doesn't say it is safe for use on kittens or ferrets.
(I use Adams flea and tick mist)  You might also want to get a good
flea shampoo, again one that's safe for kittens.  I like the one
made by Pet Stop that has d-limonene as the active ingredient, it
has a great citrus scent.

If you are going to be successful you have to treat your house as
well.  A good, non-toxic method is to sprinkle borax into the carpet.
It's safe for pets, but it dehydrates fleas.  I sprinkle it on lightly,
work it in, then leave it there.  Some people vaccuum it up and claim
that works as well.  (Use the 20 mule team borax -- it's in the
laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store)  (... O.K., so there's
one exception to the grocery store rule.  :) )

 ---------------

RE:  The new ferret who's getting beaten up -- Since the other's are
actually breaking her skin, you have a problem.  Try to isolate the
ones that are doing the damage, and keep them away from her until she
gets used to the others.  A good time to let everyone get used to one
another is bath day.  Throw them all in the tub and give them a
bath, very often afterward the fighting will subside since they are
all on square one scent wise.  I don't know why this works, but it
usually does.  Also, if you have a friend who likes ferrets and
doesn't mind them in his/her house, pack them all up and let them
get used to each other there.  Similarly, if you have a room that
they aren't usually allowed to use.  If that's not really an option,
make one of your current ferret-allowed rooms strictly for the new
ferret (make gates to keep the others out).  In a week or two, allow
others into this room one at a time, and as they get used to her,
keep them in there.  The ultimate goal is to get rid of any territorial
baggage that's keeping them from getting along.  Either everyone has
to feel unsure about the environment, or the old ferrets should be
introduced to the new ferret in *her* territory.  They are probably
beating up on her more because she is showing more fear than the others
did, so the more secure you can make her, the better.  Putting her on
their "turf" and having to face all of them at once is extremely
intimidating, you have to reverse that situation as much as
possible.

 -------------

Cute ferret story --

Bree is my "Mommy's Girl", she gets very upset when I leave, and when
I come home she'll run to the door, ask to be picked up, and then
give me lots of kisses.  And if we're downstairs, she can be dead asleep
but if I get up and walk to the backdoor or put on my coat she'll wake
up and come running out very upset.  If I dare go out the door, she'll
sit by it and wait for me to come back.

Last night I had to make a quick run to the grocery store, I put on my
coat, she came running out acting upset, so I decided to let her ride
along.  I got to the store, turned off the car, and she ran from the
back of the car in an instant to sit on my lap to make sure I wasn't
going to leave her behind.  So, since pets aren't allowed where food is
sold, I had to rudely throw her into the car and shut the door.  (talk
about a pitiful looking ferret!)  I ran in, picked up the few items I
needed, and raced out.  Half way to the car I saw that Bree was perched
on the top of the back seat watching for me, just like all the dogs
you see in parking lots.  Since ferrets have terrible eyesight, she
didn't recognize me coming, so I tapped on the glass to get her
attention.  She was so nervious that she nearly jumped out of her
skin, so I said "hi Breezy" through the glass to let her know it was
me.  She heard my voice and went nuts, she jumped into the back of
the station wagon and started jumping at the window trying to get
to me, following me as I went around the back of the car.  Then she
raced up and met me at the door with a truly enthusiastic greeting.
It's not often that you get such a wonderful display of affection from
a ferret, it made my night.  O.K., maybe it's not such a great
story, but it was definately a "warm fuzzy" moment, and made me
feel great.  I just wanted to convey what a wonderful little girl
Bree is, and we haven't had nearly enough cute stories lately, so
I figured I would pass it along.

BTW, in general I do not recommend letting ferrets run loose in the
car.  Bree is very obedient, and if I tell her not to do something
she'll stop immediately.  So I don't have to worry about her getting
underfoot or crawling up under the dash.  She also wears I.D. and rabies
tags so if something did happen, she would be recognized as a pet and
taken care of.  I very infrequently take them on out-of-cage car trips.
(It was also cool, not cold, and at night)

Whew...  I had to make such a long disclaimer that maybe the story
wasn't even worth it.  :)

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets