From:
andrew_carrie_dishman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:03:34 -0500
Hello everyone,
It has been awhile since we have posted, but ferret math has hit again.
Bou joined our family last week, he is a strange color little boy with
beautiful mitts.  But with our new baby boy came new experiences.  He has
microphthalmia (tiny eyeballs but it is only his right eye.  We took him
to our vet for a look over and the doctor informed us of Bou's condition,
I had read about it before but never seen it.  Bou has a constent runny
eye but the doctor says there is no blindness.  Has anyone else delt with
this situation.  He is a happy little guy plays great with his 3 older
sisters.  They doctor says eventually Bou may go blind int that eye.

The other new experience with Bou is he wipes his bottom in the litter
box after going potty.  This is causing( because we have been using clay
litter) small pieces to get stuck on and in his rectum.  The other day it
was swollen and red.  We are now wiping his bottom after he goes and have
ordered newspaper litte, we are hoping this will prevent the problem.  We
called our vet (since it would be an hour and a half drive to him and asked
what we could do for Bo untill the litter came.  The vet said it sounded
like a prolased rectum and for us to put cortizone and preparation H on
it.  Bou is not having diarrea however and was desecented long ago.  I am
worried that the medication will just hurt Bou more.  For now we have been
just keeping him away from the clay littler and checking on his little
bottom to make sure it is staying clean and he seems to be doing alright.
Could he just be allergic to the clay?  The litter should be arriving in
2 more days.  We didn't get a big bag since we were not sure what the
best brand was at the time.  Anyone that is using a good non-clay litter
recommed one to us?  I don't feel that we will be going back to clay again
after this experience.

Thanks for any help you all can offer: Carrie, Drew,Batty, Sniffles,
Guiness, and our little Bou