From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:47:03 -0400
Kelleen --

That is one of the very problems -- everything sent to me indicated that ALL
three of the ferrets were vaccinated.  At this point, I am forced by
circumstances to maintain that position unless I hear otherwise from the
source.  I have been working the phones since Sunday with the press and
since speaking with Matt Rossetti, on Monday morning have had the
information that all three ferrets were vaccinated.

Already I have heard at least three different versions of the incident and
subsequent events.  I have tried to validate all of the information with
Matt Rossetti before going to the media with it.  In one version, none of
the ferrets had been vaccinated -- they had simply been kept in isolation.
The only principal with whom I have not had the opportunity to speak with
directly on the side of the ferrets is David Reeves.  I have chosen not to
contact Mr. Kozak, Sr or Jr, to avoid exacerbating the situation from their
side.  I will let the media do that.

It is now the job of the people who claim to be true ferret lovers to makett
concerted media push to get attention to the story and the stange
circumstances surrounding it.  Everyone has access to a fax -- either through
their modems or through local businesses.  Innundate the media and especially
the tabloid news shows -- including the evening news magazines like DATELINE
NBC, 20/20, and 60 MINUTES.  Once the story gets out, it will be possible to
prevent the spread of misinformation about ferrets, such as:

-- They are "exotic" pets.  Ferrets ARE NOT exotic pets.  They are
domesticated companion pets and have been for the last 2,500 - 5,000 years.
Derrets were valued pets of the ancient Egyptians and of royalty in Europe
during the Middle ages.

-- Ferrets are dangerous animals.  Ferrets are no more dangerous that the
average house dog or cat.  In fact, bite studies prove they are indeed less
dangerous as companion pets.

-- Ferrets are prone to rabies, just like their cousins the raccoon.
Nothing is further from the truth!  ferrets and raccoons are not even in the
same family, they are not cousins and yet I hear many ferret owners making
that claim.  Just because an animal has a mask does not mean it is related
to the ferret.  Many new world monkeys have masks, too.  As for the shedding
of rabies -- we are all aware that the preliminary studies by KSU indicate
that the domestic ferret will not be able to pass the virus along in its
saliva.

Please, make an effort to turn this tragedy into a victory for the ferrets
we love and their human comapnions.

Scott