From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 23:49:43 -0400
I know someone here in a ferret free state who took in a ferret from
an animal control/humane society organization and held it until there
seemed to be no chance of the owner retrieving it. The person who has
the ferret knows they have many health issues (she has heard me list
the number of ailments and vet visits I've made for a number of years).
They've kept the ferret for several months (the transfer to me kept
being put off ) and apart from learning that ferrets are escape artists
(they've been lucky she's only escaped once) and do not get along with
bunnies (bunnies and house are now ferret proofed) they have taken good
care of her. The couple said they would call me with problems since
they are aware that ferrets are highly likely to need vet care, and
there is an exotic animal vet who sees ferrets in their area. However I
thought I'd suggest they go to a website to look at the general stuff
on ferret illnesses, so looked online through google and saw those I've
found over the years - Ferret Universe (which seems pretty inclusive on
many topics), MiamiFerret.org, Dr Williams site, Foster and Smith (have
a section on diseases) - but wondered if there were another general
site which would give them an overview and not be too technical. If
anyone has suggestions on another good site they can look at if they
need answers I'd appreciate it.

[ME]