From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0300
Hello -- In response to your questions, I can see that you might have
concerns. Yes, I am in financial difficulty -- or wouldn't be asking
for help. But -- also Yes -- I have a place to go to with all of my
animals and the means to support them once back in the States. I will
be with a good friend who has a ferret hospice in South Texas, and will
help her with it. We've considered my finances and income, and feel
the costs of animal care will be less in the US than here.

I will not leave my animals here. With the exception of the donkeys --
two of them at least -- all of them would have short suffering lives if
left behind. The two donkeys will live less than half their normal
lifespan and will have miserable lives.

I've written a couple of detailed posts to the FML about that, and also
about how I ended up in this unlucky position and why it's unwise for
me to remain here. You could search for my name in your email in-list
and get that information.

But, in brief:
Most of my animals came from the US with me. Those are 2 ferrets, 4
cats, and 3 dogs. The animals that were born here are 2 cats and three
donkeys. I always wanted a goat, but never did get one!

House pets are uncommon here, and only an extremely tiny percentage get
appropriate food or vet care. I would say it is well under 1%. There
is a lot of out-in-the-open abuse. People are poor and frustrated, and
animal rights do not exist. Many of the 1% are well-loved. For an
example, plus a photo of my vet with my ferret Jonas, see:
http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/celebrateoften/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ16

I came to Ethiopia to start a business, but the business failed. I
lost my assets in the process. Government regulations are making it
difficult for me to sell my remaining assets, but eventually I will
at least sell my car. I'm in the process of selling furniture,
appliances, etc. This money is going into my return-to-US fund.

All donations also go there, separated from other money. So far, the
donations have accumulated 50% of the transport costs for the ferrets,
dogs, and cats. Of course there will be plenty of set-up expenses when
I get back to the US, and I would be so happy to have help with them.
If that feels good to you, I'll set up another account for those
donations.

When I came here, I left myself a backup plan: I rented out my house
rather than selling it. Sad to say, my renters stopped paying the rent
and trashed the house. The bank repossessed it.

This all sounds so pathetic, but I am not a pathetic person. It was
difficult for me to ask for help, but once I committed myself to it, I
kept at it. One way I reconcile myself to doing it is knowing what I
gave when I had money. My main focus was medical -- I saved lives and
helped people with their health in the US and abroad.

PS, I asked a friend to read this and tell me if she thought it was
ok. She recommends I also let you know that I myself am in some danger
here. You'll find info on that on the FML too.

People also tell me that I write in too stiff-upper-lip style. But you
can believe that there's plenty of distress and pain behind it. You'll
see what I mean if you look at my MANY, many, Many, many, undoubtedly
too-many (!) earlier posts.