From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 00:30:06 EDT
Hi,

I'm having a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

Since getting my second ferret, I've kept the cage that they now share on
the floor in the basement rec room.  The rec room is the largest closable
room in the house and is the one that was ferret-proofed when I got my
first ferret almost 2 years ago.  The basement is finished with carpet and
paneling.  It is furnished with a couch (known as "Ferret Treasure Chest"),
chairs, etc.  So it's not the typical "cement floor/cement block, no one
would ever want to spend time there" basement.  The rec room also houses
the computer room.  These are the 2 rooms where the carpet sharks can run
around.  Since I spend far too much time with the computer, the fuzzies get
plenty of exploration/play time/destroy this room time.

Now my problem: Tonight while cleaning out the litter box in the bottom of
the cage, I found 3 earwigs.  2 met with tragic endings while the third
escaped.  This is unfortunately not an isolated incident.  The earwigs are
terrible all over Michigan this year.

I love my ferrets, but object to them keeping their own pet earwigs.  I do
suspect they are pets since the ferrets go up to them smell them, maybe do
a little petting, then leave them alone.  The earwigs seem to like this
arrangement and may have "personalities" like some cats.....

Does anyone have any suggestions for eliminating the earwigs without any
consequences to the fuzzies?  Remember, they (the bugs) are living in the
cage (all over the cage) and around/under it.

All suggestions are very welcome!!

Kim and The Dynamic Duo

(My first attempt at a semi-humourous post......How'd I do?  The earwig
problem is real though!)