Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:15:24 +1200
Hi Meg :o) You asked:

>Please dont be offended by my questions.

Better to ask now, rather than waiting until it's already done!

>I dont own ferrets yet.  I am trying to learn all I can about them.

Great idea - wihs more would do it.

>I do travel by plane and want to take my fuzzie with me when I go.  Maybe
>one round trip a year.  Is it possible to sedate them safely to sleep for
>a 4 to 5 hour flight??

Personally, I would *not* advise this.  First question is should you be
taking your ferret?  There are places where ferrets are illegal, this will
need monitorng.  The main thing, in my opinion, is that sedation is totally
unecessary.  Ferrets, when bored, will sleep.  That's their nature.  They
may dig for a bit, but will quickly bore of that, and go to sleep.  I have
flown ferrets on twelve hour plus flights with no problems (other than
people who are determined to make my life a living hell by rerouting the
ferrets onto the wrong flights!) even though I have never used sedation of
any kind.

I have actually been warned *not* to sedate ferrets for a flight, as they
may develop an adverse reaction and die as a result of the sedative itself.

If you're planning on taking ferrets with you on flights, particularly if
you have only 1 or 2, I'd suggest you fly Delta and use a small carrier
and take them in the cabin with you (they'll stay under your seat) or to
get a good, sturdy airline approved carrier for the freight hold.  The
first option, I feel, is the best.  The reason I suggest Delta is that they
are fairly animal friendly, but with *any* airlines, you should double and
triple check plans, and get written copies where possible.  Always get the
names of people you speak to and what they said.

>You already are reading my mind, I want to smuggle it on board in coach.

Bad idea.  If they catch you, you risk imprisonment, and the death of your
ferrets.  Best to pay the $50 flight cost and take them aboard legally.
Some people get away with it, but why take the chance?

>No one to see about them here, besides would not want to be away from them
>for two or three months.

If you're away for long periods of time, and you're able to legally, it is
preferable that you take your ferrets with you, in my opinion anyway.  I'm
away for a reasonable period fairly frequently (well, once a year for the
past several years in varying amounts of time) and leave my ferrets behind.
I can legally take them with me on some of these trips, but cannot bring
them back home.  I don't need to take those risks.  The ferrets are always
content to be cared for by my family, as evidenced by their continued good
health and evident happiness upon my return.  I make sure they know the
people 'sitting' them long prior to departure, and that ferrets and
'sitter' are all happy.

Good luck making your decisions, and glad to see you here, willing to ask
questions and learn more information.  Personally, I'd advise stopping at
http://www.ferretcentral.org/ for a lot of information on Ferrets through
the Ferret FAQ.

 Sam

To see some awesome ferret cards, drop in on
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fanmail/cards/ferretcard.htm