Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:00:51 -0800
This was a very good post by Debbie Searing and I have to add my two cents.
Debbie wrote:
>TWO, regarding the following:
>>Subject: zen wonders about Debbie's plethora of technical questions:
>>You writing a book or something?  If so be honest about why you are
>>asking questions.

>I am not the Debbie referred to here, thank god!  but I am just curious
>(and a little angry at the pompousness of this post by bill and diane!),
>since when did we have to justify to the Killians our motives for asking
>questions?  I would love to know why bill and diane are so consistently
>down on pcnut aka Debbie?  It really lends a negative tone to reading
>their other posts.

Hotdish writes: AMEN!  My exact thoughts.  What was the point of this post
other than to try and humiliate a good, caring, ferret owner?  Why does
anyone have to justify or clarify why they are asking a question?  I simply
did not understand this and sent a private email to the Killians about it.
Debbie (pcnut) is a very nice person and this was just a hurtful, nasty,
slam at her.  Nobody should fault anyone for wanting to learn everything
they can about ferrets.

>THIRD: To whoever recommended that ferrets and toddlers don't mix, have
>you ever had ferrets and toddlers together?  A responsible parent and pet
>owner should have no problem with this scenario--I know quite a few ferret
>and toddler combos (myself included), and we have never had a problem.  Oh
>sure, a few nibbles here and there on fingers, a few toys stolen and tears
>shed (mumma, Merlin stole the baby from my dollhouse!!!), but with good
>supervision and paying attention, I don't think toddlers and ferrets are a
>problem.  NOTE: my daughter is NEVER left alone with the ferrets!  I think
>that is the most important thing.

Hotdish writes: Exactly!  Supervision is key.  It does not matter if it
is fish, a bird, a dog, a cat or a ferret.  Kids should always have adult
supervision around any and all animals (amphibians, etc...).  I don't
believe that ferrets and kids don't mix, just irresponsible parents and
kids are a bad combination.  Very good comment!

>FINALLY: MJ asked about euthanasia, and I have to agree.  We as humans have
>the unfortunate/fortunate option with our pets that we don't even have with
>ourselves: we can put them out of misery and pain through euthanasia.  But
>who is to judge quality of life?...

Hotdish writes: I am on the same page as you with this one.  Another
excellent comment.

Very insightful and well-written post, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am
glad you found scritching your ferret is a treat.  I hope my Marley never
stops enjoying this.

Take care and keep up the excellent posts.