Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:38:52 -0500
Greetings to all ferret afficionatos.

First...my heart goes out to Cindy Scheidt and her babies with N1H1.
She was of such help, I understand, in the Ohio rescue...as were many
unsung heroes. She has created a fun toy just for ferrets...this tubing
that wraps around and offers hours of fun for ferrets. Maybe someone
can let us know bout the site to see these towers. There may be someone
out there who could help cindy out by purchasing one. Not too many
people whom care enough about ferrets to make something just for them.

/////for those with ferrets who won't stop
     coughing, and appear to have trouble breathing;/////

Once your vet has ruled out any problems, including heart disease, you
have switched to a non-dusty litter, stopped smoking, put away candles
and room spray, and thrown out those powders you sprinkle that make
the carpet look cleaner, and switched to unscented detergents, given
your house and cages a good cleaning, stopped using those strong fumy
cleaners that you just know hurt your lungs, and made sure you are
brushing your ferret on a regular basis to avoid him choking on wads
of fur, and have a humidifier going to avoid that dry hacking cough
that can occur in this dry weather...

If your ferrets' health is still of concern due to this scary
coughing..

///you may wish to invest in your own nebulizer.////

A vet suggested this to me. It was my 4th or 5th vet I saw concerning
tigers' persistent cough. I was so afraid for him.

How it worked;
I took a small carrier and wrapped it in two garbage bags, put the
ferret in, made as tight a seal as I could, and stuck the nebulizer
in the small opening. I only used water. But it worked. Thank god.
Thank god.

My exotic vet said it had worked for a chimp. And I was at my wits end.
So I tried it. All of my monkeys wanted in that carrier. It took time
to do 3 times a day. The nebulizer was about 90 dollars, I think. But
Tiger actually thought it was great. And it worked.

Don't know if it will help Xindy's ferrets, as they also need oxygen.
But it worked for Tiger....when all else failed. It was another one of
lifes' small miracles for me. Bear it in mind just in case.