From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:29:22 -0800
>Subject: Canadian Ferrets and ECE
>I've heard but lend little creedence to Canadians being specifically more
>resistant to ECE and the similar Canadian ferrets are the source of ECE.
>I'm not saying either is impoassible but the genetic differences between
>Canadian and American (from the US but USian sounds funny) are so slight
>that it seems unlikely.  If the virus came from Canada it could mean that
>Canadian ferrets are more likely to have been exposed and built up a
>tolerance type immunity.

Except that in all my years of ferrets, I never even heard of ECE until I
joined the FML.  No one that I know in Canada at all has ever seen its
symptoms either, so I have trouble believing it could come from Canadian
ferrets.  I don't have a clue *why* Canadian ferrets would be more
resistant, but I don't think it's us that's spreading it.  I always assumed
it was Germ Warfare practiced by the California Legislature...

We don't use baby gates cuz we've yet to find one a ferret can't climb.
Instead we use a chunk o'plywood (soon to be replaced by a hunk
o'plexiglass) that slides into two tracks bolted on the wall that are the
same length as the plywood is high.  When we aren't using it, we stand it up
against a wall behind a door.  None of my guys and gals can jump it.
Someone mentioned putting a shower curtain rod cover over the top - I think
that would work really well to deter the little monsters...

Sheena
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >