From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:13:19 -0700
I have a question, or maybe several, in regards to the use of gentamicin
with ferrets.

It was stated by Dr. Williams, I believe, that ferrets do not tolerate
Gentamicin well, and that it should not be used.  I did not raise the
question at the time, since I wanted to check the vaccine literature to
make sure I wasn't thinking of something else, but, isn't this the same
drug that is being used as the preservative in Fervac-D?

Could it be, a lot of the severe reactions being seen with Fervac-D could
be due to the preservative used in this product?  What kind of response
would one expect to see, if they did use Gentamicin- the same as we see
in vaccine reactions?  If this is the same drug, couldn't a different
preservative be used that would be just as effective, yet not be as
dangerous, in the manufacturing of the vaccine?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

By the way, Ferrets 2000 was one of the best events I have ever attended.
Well planned, tremendous speakers, and outstanding fellow attendants.  It
was definitely a memorable weekend, and I'm looking forward to supporting
the next Symposium.

Thanks,
Julie

=====