From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2009 11:36:02 -0400
As far as a I know, with established medications when there are
problems when there had not been before it is usually one of three
things:
1. Coincidence (even some clumps are expected with normal coincidences)
   or
2. Mishandling (often that is in transport or at distributors) or
3. A bad batch or a bad run which is why medication recalls are
identified by numbers like serial numbers

So, there may be nothing but coincidence going on, but I hope that
people's vets at least report the reactions because that action saves
other animals when there is a mishandling problem or a batch problem.
I'm not sure that all vets had the current reporting info, though. The
websites did change a couple of times recently and it took a while to
track that info down.

As I recall the average reaction reaction rate (over all) for IMRAB 3
is just 2 percent.

People getting vaccinations for ferrets should remember to have the
rabies vaccines and distemper vaccines given at separate times and to
wait at least a half hour at the vet hospital in case of a reaction
because when they occur they usually happen soon after the shot. For a
serious reaction -- and anaphylactic one -- epi is essential, and other
things that may be used include fluids, steroids, antihistamines, and
oxygen.

People should not confuse a normal response which shows that the
body is learning its lesson from the vaccine (for example, minor
sluggishness) or a temporary swelling at the site with a reaction.
(There is some overlap in symptoms for minor reactions and a strong
normal learning response by the immune system which is probably no
surprise since both are caused by immune system.)

Reporting info:

Reporting:
Report to the manufacturer. For IMRAB 3 that is Merial.
1-888-MERIAL-1
may still be the right phone number (or not)

Also, report federally. If the gov't gets too many reports it does
make sure manufacturers follow-up.

<http://www.ferret-universe.com/health/resources/pharmacobrochure.pdf>

<http://www.ferret-universe.com/health/resources/vetadversedrug.pdf>

<http://www.ferret-universe.com/health/resources/animaladverseevent.pdf>