Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 16:57:32 +1000
After harassing the Guy in charge of the exotic species ban for a while now,
I think I'm getting somewhere.  The first letter is his reply to a lengthy
letter about the history, domestication etc (tnx to Pam G, Bob C, Troy,
Holly H, Diane, Swamp and others).  Steve had not budged from his posn.  The
second letter is after continual queries on his research verses mine
(ours!).  Although I still have a way to go, I believe he (they) may be
coming around <cheesy grin>.

Dear Paul
If the document you mention as being passed on to you by a friend was
sourced in Qld, it was written by me.  It would have been taken from my
'Exotic Species database' as the original does make mention of an
unconfirmed report of wild ferrets in Tasmania.

I am impressed by your research on this matter and you have certainly spent
a great deal of time researching this species and some of the theory
associated with predicting biological invasions.  However, the fact that we
can argue on this issue does tend to reinforce what I have been saying...
"if in doubt leave it out !" i.e. if a species' pest potential is subject to
debate then the precautionary principle should prevail.  Surely we have
enough species of exotic feral animals in Queensland already without taking
any more unnecessary risks ??  Who would pay for the control of wild ferrets
if by some chance they did become naturalised ?  I am sure the ferret
fanciers/pet owners would suddenly go very quiet and government (i.e. the
taxpayer) would be left to clean up the mess and spend millions on research
and control.

I acknowledge that the pest potential of ferrets is debateable but the
majority of pest management researchers and policy makers agree that pest
"prevention" is better than "cure" and the precautionary principle should
prevail.  Having said this, however, I will keep your well-researched
comments on file so that we can refer to them should there ever be a review
of the current status of ferrets in Qld.

Steve.

Dear Paul
The keeping of exotic animals (including the controversial ones such as
rabbits, ferrets and dingoes) will be reviewed as part of a planned review
of the Qld Rural Lands Protection Act, to be undertaken over the next 12-24
months.  I will be raising the issue of legalising the keeping of a limited
number (perhaps 1 per family) of desexed ferrets, rabbits, dingoes as part
of the review process.  I cannot guarantee any changes but our Branch will
give the matter appropriate consideration.

If there are any changes, we will do our best to publicise them through the
media.

Regards.
Steve Csurhes.