From:
Nathania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:47:50 +0200
Hi There

I live in France, and have a ferret...what has been said is true-
European ferrets do not really suffer from the same things that American
ferrets do.  For example, ADV doesn't exist here.  The most knowledgeable
of ferret vets (they call them NAC here- vets knowleageable in Nouveaux
Animaux de Compagnie- or New Pets) does not know what it is.  One of the
reasons for this I am sure is that neither breeders nor pet stores nor
shelters neuter or sterilize their ferrets before the age of 7 months.
As it happens in the states (i have been told), some or most ferrets are
sterilized before their owners get them, just after they have been weaned
(2 months).  I've done extensive research on this idea- leaving the
ferrets intact for as long as possible greatly decreases the chances of
his immune system giving up.  The ferrets get a chance to HORMONALLY
develop to their full potential, giving them a chance to build the
immunity to viruses and diseases.  Genetic diseases are a bit different
i'm sure but so far, very few cases of any major diseases has been noted
in frenh ferrets .  You'd be surprised to find out that there is an
almost non existant rate of adrenal disease- they just dont get it here.
We feed them the same stuff- well almost- most people feed high quality
kitten food or ferret food- The lighting conditions must be the same, if
not worse than in the US, especially in the big ciites (i live in paris)
where light is not plentiful.  the weather here also sucks which is a big
light diminisher.

anyway, any more thoughts on this would be nice but thats what i think is
the major problem.  and in-breeding too, obviously .  that causes a whole
bunch of junk.

lemme know what you think

nat and the calypso