From:
Susan Brown DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 1994 12:45:57 -0500
Although I have great respect for Dr. Williams opinion, I have to agree with
Robert Rhodes opinion in the last issue regarding laboratory animal vets
getting info off this network.  I have had occasion to speak to various
laboratory vet groups and I find that after I have spoken to them from the
perspective of the practitioner and ferret owner (I have 6 right now, down
from 9) they have a new understanding and appreciation for ferret
capabilities and personalities.  In fact in one instance they decided to stop
using ferrets for research entirely.  When I visited out at MIT several years
ago, I was able to get them to use ferret "snooze tubes" for hiding in the
cages instead of just the cardboard flooring, which enhanced their
environment.  They also had an increased appreciation, and played with them
more and had more interaction.  Although, at M.I.T. where Dr. Susan Erdman
and Dr. Jim Fox (the author of Biology and Diseases of the Ferret) have their
facilities, they already love ferrets and treat them with care in my
observation.

We are not going to be able to prevent animal use in research by not allowing
this group to access information on this network.  In fact the use of ferrets
in human research has lead to a lot of information about ferret diseases
themselves, so it hasn't all been a total waste of time to the ferret
community at large.  And, after all, they may have valuable information to
contribute relating to the diagnosis, cause and treatment of ferret diseases.
Rather, as Robert had suggested, we might just be able to educate them as to
the "finer points" of this great little critter which may lead to more
compassion, a different viewpoint when handling them, and THEN ultimately the
nonuse of the ferret in human research.
Susan A. Brown, D.V.M.
(17 years of experience as a practitioner with ferrets and a ferret owner
from the beginning! for those of you who don't know me)