From:
David Childress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 01:15:01 -0500
Hi again everyone,
    Hope that everyone had a great holiday season and you are all ready to
get back to work in this new year. I am seeking information, primarily from
vets I guess, about genetics and congenital defects in ferrets. My new fuzzy,
Miko, is 2 months 9 days. I have had her for three weeks and was preparing to
clip some nails when I started counting toes - to my great surprize I was
only able to count to _19_
I know that ferrets are prone to genetic diseases and was wondering what
connections have been made between congenital birth defects and genetic
defects occuring in later life. Miko is a Path Valley ferret, which I have
been told is a reputable breeder. I guess my main concern is does this type
of abnormality appear to be genetically linked in ferrets or is this more of
a true congential defect that has no bearing on later development of genetic
diseases. God forbid that I should have to take Path Valley up on their 1-yr
guarantee against defects - I just want my vet and myself to be more aware of
possible future problems. Any help appreciated (my Biology and Diseases of
the Ferret book hasn't arrived YET). FYI - please make your replies as
technically/biologically detailed as possible I've got a couple of degrees
lying around that I haven't done much with lately. Thanks again...

David Childress  and   /\/\:)    Miko
[log in to unmask]      or  [log in to unmask]