From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 02:17:42 -0500
Hi all!

In regards to Catherine's query of "what is a shelter, and when is a shelter
a broker?", I can only give MHO.  I consider a shelter any organization or
individual who will put the welfare of the animal first - whether it is the
decision to euthanize, or not do surgery, or even purchase a ferret from an
individual because they believe that it is in the animals' welfare to do so.
I have only done this three times over the course of a couple years, and
only when I believed (and I am a very cynical person) that if I did not
purchase the animal, that they would either destroy the animal, or turn it
loose.  In these three occasions, I wrote them a check from my personal
account and subsequently turned the animal into the rescue for adoption.  I
have convinced many others to turn the animals into us for nothing, often by
substituting a receipt for the "value" of the animal.  A broker to me, is
someone who puts people who want ferrets in touch with those who have
ferrets available for adoption.  Webster's defines a shelter as" a refuge,
haven; Something providing cover or protection".  I think that this covers
it pretty well, don't you?  Maybe shelters can be too soft-hearted, but I
think that that is not the worst thing in the world.  Imagine how you would
feel if the ferret that you refused to take was killed or abused?  I
wouldn't want the guilt!  Most of my rescues are simply a matter of getting
the phone call, "I don't want my ferret anymore, can you come and get it?"
and doing just that.  Most of the ferrets that I have taken in were not
abused, just didnt have enough attention or the owners didnt realize what
they were getting into.  The abuse cases only focus my attention on why I am
doing this.

As far as the USDA is concerned, I can tell you that I did get an "official"
copy of the report against Marshall Farms.  I am very like you in that I
prefer to get the info myself.  I gained this copy through the Humane
Society and the Freedom of Information Act.  A very powerful piece of
legislation, the FIA.  You can request any non-classified reports filed by
any government agency.  I sent the Humane Society of Rochester a $10.00
donation, just to get it.  I consider this money well spent!  I prefer to
believe what I hold in my hands in black n white about the unsanitary
surgical conditions and broken rusty wires protruding into cages than the
third- or fourth- hand reports that other USDA inspectors supposedly said
about other inspectors.

In regards to MF helping in the CA legislation effort, I am glad that they
are helping, but then again, that is purely a business decision.  Don't read
any altruistic motives in this, just think about it: How many people live in
CA that would LOVE to own a ferret legally?  If they enter the market first,
what an untapped market it would be!  Its not that I am questioning their
motives (which I am), I am just being realistic.  They have the most to gain
by making ferrets legal in CA (except all the people in CA who currently own
ferrets illegally)!

Well, thats more than I planned to say about MF, and I will not post again
about it.  This is, as always, my personal opinion.

Lisa & the 18 amazing pooping machines